From everyone here and from President Trump: Happy New year!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 1, 2020
The new year comes with new challenges, and Congress certainly has its fair share of difficulties to overcome. It’s going straight into 2020 with a host of hot-button issues to tackle. Here’s the top five that will dominate its docket and MSM headlines for the foreseeable future.
- Impeachment — Of course, we must all deal with the next steps of the impeachment proceedings. The Senate will now pick up the case (if Pelosi ever sends the Articles of Impeachment over from the house) where Trump is expecting a much fairer representation of the “situation.” A total of 67 votes are required to convict the president, which is all but impossible with a Republican-controlled Senate.
- USMCA — Trump’s revision of the old NAFTA trade deal is doing amazing things for international trade. However, with impeachment taking priority, the USMCA debate will have to wait.
- Surveillance Reform — Set to be addressed in March, the USA Freedom Act is about to sunset. The Trump administration wants to renew it, while the NSA wants to do away with it. We’ll be keeping a close eye on this one for you.
- Drug Prices — Democrats have a plan to, supposedly, lower drug prices. Senate Republicans aren’t as enthusiastic about the program. Mitch McConnel (R-KY) called the bill “dead on arrival.”
- Government Funding for 2021 — The Government is slated to remain open through 2020. However, some in Congress want to plan ahead for the next fiscal year. With the 2020 election on the horizon, the details of next year’s funding are unlikely to come to fruition anytime soon.
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org