Socialist congresswoman Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) visited the Detroit police department recently — but what should have been a chance to learn about how cops do their job turned into a surreal experience as the rookie radical issued a series of absurd demands that left the chief of police baffled and frustrated. Tlaib demanded a racist hiring policy and refused to let police tell her how their systems actually work. And then she wonders why she and her colleagues in the so-called “Squad” are detested by most ordinary Americans.
Freshman Representative Rashida Tlaib is no stranger to controversy. Along with fellow “Squad” members Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley and of course Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, she’s made regular appearances in the news — usually for saying something ridiculous or offensive. And now she’s done it again.
- Tlaib, a member of the Democratic Socialists of America, was being given a tour of the Detroit Police Department’s Real Time Crime Center, which uses advanced technology to identify suspects. One of the tools they use for this is facial recognition software.
- Police Chief James Craig demonstrated the software to Tlaib and explained how it worked — but, instead of learning from this, she seized the opportunity to go off on a racist rant.
- Tlaib told the astonished chief that all the analysts hired to work with the software needed to be African-American, as “non-African-Americans think African-Americans all look the same!”
- Craig tried to explain that, in fact, the software does the actual work of recognizing faces, and the analysts have it available when they make their final determination. He also told Tlaib, “I trust people who are trained, regardless of race, regardless of gender.”
- The congresswoman insisted that the error rate for the software on African-American women is 60% — a claim that doesn’t seem to be supported by any evidence at all. She told Chief Craig, “See if you can get some of our money back until they fix it.” Craig replied with a flat “No.”
- A reporter from the Detroit News was following the tour; an apparently confused Tlaib asked him, “Are you facial recognizing me right now? I’m sorry who are you and why are you videotaping me?”
- The same journalist later asked her about her claim that only black people could work as analysts. Tlaib walked away when asked if her allegations meant that African-Americans shouldn’t be allowed to identify white people.
- Chief Craig, who is black, hasn’t made many friends on the Left after becoming a strong supporter of the Second Amendment in 2015. Following visits to Maine and Los Angeles, where concealed carry permits are easy to obtain, he dropped his previous support for gun control and said more citizens should be armed. That caused predictable outrage from Democrats. It doesn’t look like Tlaib’s visit has healed any wounds.
Copyright, 2019. RightWing.org