(RightWing.org) – President Trump has told journalists that schools need to start teaching a more positive view of the US, to rebuild our national identity and promote shared values. He blamed biased teaching for the recent surge of left-wing violence and the distorted debate about racism – and ended on a strong, patriotic note by praising the country and its values.
POTUS Slams Leftie Teaching
Addressing a news conference Monday, August 31, President Trump said the US needs to restore “patriotic education” in schools to reduce unrest and settle racial tensions.
- The president blamed the violence that’s blighted Portland, OR, and other cities on what young Americans are being taught in schools and universities, calling it “left-wing indoctrination.”
- He also criticized Democrat presidential candidate Joe Biden for giving the rioters moral support. Trump said the far-left unrest across the country is a “crazy movement” that Democrats can’t control.
- While Democrats are saying President Trump has encouraged the violence, he’s blaming it on a generation or more of young people having been taught a highly negative view of this country – and he wants to change what’s taught in schools to fix it.
- Right now, schoolchildren and college students are taught a one-sided, and often openly hostile, view of the US. Just last week Fox News reported that eighth-graders in Dallas, TX, were being taught the police are similar to slave owners and the Ku Klux Klan.
- Following complaints from the Fraternal Order of Police and Texas governor Greg Abbott (R), the offensive assignment was pulled, but it’s a perfect example of what some teachers think is appropriate.
- Now, President Trump wants to change that. The agenda for his second term includes “Teach American exceptionalism” as a goal. While the president has expressed doubts about the term in the past, he’s now arguing that it’s vital to teach children a more accurate – and positive – view of the US.
Trump wants children to learn that the US is “an exceptional, free and just nation, worth defending, preserving and protecting.” He believes that if kids realize how lucky they are to be born in the modern US, and not at almost any other time or place in history, they’ll be less likely to want to destroy the country.
It’s hard to argue with this; how can we expect young people to help make America great if they’ve been indoctrinated to believe it’s uniquely evil?
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org