(RightWing.org) – Socialist relic Bernie Sanders has rarely been a fan of US foreign policy, but in the wake of last week’s elimination of a leading Iranian terrorist facilitator, he’s outdone himself.
According to Sanders, the US attack on General Qasem Soleimani, head of the paramilitary Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps’s shadowy Quds Force, was the same as Russia’s strongman leader ordering the murder of journalists and political opponents.
The airstrike on Iranian commander Qasem Soleimani on Jan. 3rd, sparked a mix of reactions from US politicians, with Republicans broadly supportive and Democrats generally opposed. Bernie Sanders, of course, was opposed.
- Sanders was among the first people to call the airstrike an “assassination.” Now he’s gone further.
- Talking to the media, Sanders claimed, “you know, Russia has been implicated under Putin with assassinating dissidents. So, once you’re in the business of assassination, you unleash some very, very terrible forces. And, what I’m seeing now in this world as a result of Trump’s actions, more and more chaos, more and more instability.”
- Russian President Vladimir Putin, a former colonel in the KGB’s elite First Chief Directorate, has used assassination as a political tool on several occasions. For someone trained to infiltrate and undermine enemy societies, it’s a tactic he’s familiar with.
- Putin favors high-profile assassinations with a bare minimum of plausible deniability — usually, everyone knows the Russian government was responsible, they just can’t prove it.
- Victims of the Russian leader’s assassination campaign include former deputy prime minister Boris Nemtsov, gunned down by unknown assailants on a Moscow street in 2015, and journalist Anna Politkovskaya, who was shot dead in her Moscow apartment in 2006.
- Russian agents have also struck outside Russia’s borders. Stanislav Markelov, a human rights lawyer, was shot dead in Chechnya, along with a journalist who tried to help him, in January 2009. A few months later, rights activist Natalia Estemirova was kidnapped and fatally shot, again in Chechnya.
- Western countries aren’t off-limits. KGB defector Alexander Litvinenko was killed by polonium-laced tea in London in 2009. Defector Sergei Skripal narrowly escaped death by nerve agent poisoning in Salisbury, England in March 2018.
- It’s obvious that Putin’s targets are politicians, journalists and activists who oppose his authoritarian regime and support greater human rights and democracy in Russia. Assassinations are aimed at removing opponents and intimidating others into supporting him.
- In contrast, Qasem Soleimani was a sponsor of terrorism on a global scale. Attacks ordered by him killed tens of thousands of innocent people, including hundreds of Iranian pro-democracy protesters. Does Bernie Sanders really think eliminating this murderous fanatic compares with Putin’s reign of political terror?
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org