(RightWing.org) – Representatives from Ukraine and Russia met for a third time to attempt to negotiate a cease-fire on Monday, March 7. Later that day, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told reporters Russian President Vladimir Putin issued a non-negotiable list of four demands as a precondition to ending his military actions in Ukraine.
According to Peskov, Russia will instantly halt its “special military operation” if Kyiv meets those demands. Those demands state that Ukraine must:
- Cease all military actions
- Acknowledge the status of Crimea as a legitimate Russian territory
- Recognize two disputed Ukrainian territories, Donetsk and Lugansk, as independent states
- Amend its constitution to prohibit Ukraine from pursuing membership in Western blocks, including the European Union and NATO.
The Kremlin has announced its demands for ending the war in Ukraine:
-Ukraine must change its constitution to guarantee it won't join any "blocs", i.e. NATO + EU.
-Must recognise Crimea as part of Russia.
-Must recognise the eastern separatist regions as independent.
— Patrick Reevell (@Reevellp) March 7, 2022
It remains unclear whether Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy will consider meeting those conditions. However, he issued a list of demands to Western countries during a speech he presented to British Parliament via a video feed on Tuesday.
They include the following:
- Creation of a no-fly zone over Ukrainian territory
- Increased military aid
- Stricter sanctions, including a ban on purchasing Russian natural gas and crude oil
- Membership for Ukraine in the European Union
What do you think about ongoing peace negotiations? Do Ukraine’s demands of Western allies also serve as a message to Russia?
Copyright 2022, RightWing.org