Ocasio-Cortez Told It’s a Bad Time to Push for Socialist Healthcare

Ocasio-Cortez Told It's a Bad Time to Push for Socialist Healthcare

(RightWing.org) – The United States has been discussing government-run medical care for all Americans since the 1950s. In a 1961 radio address, Ronald Reagan warned that the principal means of imposing socialism on America was through medicine. He explained in detail how the government would eventually destroy the healthcare system and erode the liberties of its citizens. Since the 1990s, Democrats have tried to supplant private healthcare with a government-run program.

As the US continues to emerge from the shadows of the pandemic and the weight of trillions of dollars of government spending that led to massive inflation, the Left continues its push for Medicare-for-all. On Tuesday, March 29, far-left Squad member Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) tweeted, without evidence, that government-run healthcare would lower monthly bills by eliminating co-pays and other medical expenses.

Is that true?

AOC Pushes for Socialist Healthcare Despite the Cons

Jonathan Bush is a CEO of a healthcare software startup. He countered AOC by saying a government-run socialist medicine program would foil medical innovations and advancements in patient care. He warned that once the government enacted social medicine, it would freeze all medical advances to that moment in time in a Soviet-esque way. Instead of significant growth in health care, stagflation would set in, stripping the envy of the world’s best healthcare system.

While Democrats like AOC, Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) love to tout the supposed benefits of socialized medicine, those benefits patients receive could be outweighed by the cons.

Benefits of Socialized Medicine Outweighed By the Cons

So, what are the benefits of a government-run program? Democrats say that all Americans would receive medical treatments. In addition, the Left says anyone would get healthcare and save money by not worrying about co-pays, deductibles, and other expenses. That may be where the benefits end — assuming that’s the whole truth.

According to a 2019 Urban Institute report, Medicare-for-all would increase the federal government’s spending by $32 trillion over 10 years. With inflation rising quickly, it’s bound to be much higher in just a few years. Nonetheless, while AOC promotes her view of the benefits of socialized medicine, it’s much more complex than she paints it. The trade-offs may worsen medical care.

For example, the one question Democrats don’t answer is: how will you pay for it?

According to the Tax Policy Center, in 2017, the US spent $3.5 trillion on healthcare. Private health insurance paid for a third, Americans paid 10% out of pocket, and Medicare or Medicaid covered the rest.

Here’s where it gets interesting. In 2019, single workers paid 18% of premiums, and a family plan cost them 30%. The rest, 70% or more, was paid by the employer. An average plan costs $20,576: the employer paid $15,000 tax-free to the employee.

Here’s the trade-off…

If the government takes over health insurance, companies will likely offer employees a raise. That raise is not tax-free. So, the government pays for all medical costs, but with whose money? Everyone who works from the bottom of the ladder on up. So, while you might not owe money at the time of service, the government will likely increase payroll taxes by 7.5% over 10 years, plus a 4% income tax surcharge on households.

There’s one more problem. The two tax increases only raise approximately 25% of the needed revenues to pay for Medicare-for-all. Where will the rest of the money come from? You got it — it would go to the national debt, which is already exploding without adding another $10 trillion over 10 years.

Still, worse yet, there are the challenges of paying for and keeping good doctors and nurses. The Republican Policy Committee said healthcare in countries with a similar proposal to the Democrat’s plan experience long delays in care, and the government decides what care patients receive.

So, is AOC right?

Will Americans actually pay less for health care if the government controls it?

You decide.

Copyright 2022, RightWing.org