Working its way through the Missouri legislature in the 2019 session is SB 367, known as the “Second Amendment Preservation Act.” A companion bill HB 786 is in the same process in the State House. This is a clear preemptive strike in the event the Progressive Liberals were to take the White House in 2020 and try to further restrict access to firearms. It also seems to be a bid to maintain the sovereignty of the state as intended by the Founding Fathers
A battle is underway over a person’s right to keep and bear arms on federal, state and local levels of government. Emboldened by winning the majority in the House of Representatives in the 2018 midterm elections — which included the election of self-proclaimed radical Socialists — Democrats are becoming more vocal than ever in their calls for gun control.
- The 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States says, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
- While the Left has long tried to obfuscate this fact, the intent was to give the citizenry the means to fend off a government that becomes tyrannical. One thing history has proven via the examples of Nazi Germany and the U.S.S.R. is that a disarmed population is a cowed population.
- In 2018, AB (Assembly Bill) 2888 was proposed in California that would have vastly increased the potential for gun confiscation by including a whole array of people who could petition the court for such an action. Current law allows only close family members or law enforcement to ask a judge for an order on this. Then-Governor Jerry Brown vetoed the bill.
- In a February 2019 ceremony, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, surrounded by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and other staunch gun-control advocates, signed the so-called “Red Flag” law. Similar to the failed California measure, it makes it easier for people to petition a court to seize the guns of individuals while simultaneously erecting blocks against the person trying to protect their rights.
- The Missouri bill is explicit in its intent to the point the summary says, “[t]his act declares as invalid all federal laws that infringe on the right to bear arms under the Second Amendment…” It goes on to enumerate certain actions such as, taxation, registration and orders of confiscation among others
- Other plots being hatched by the Left may seem totally unrelated to this issue, but closer examination shows they are not. Expanding the Supreme Court and packing it with liberal judicial activists would allow the veneer of legality to linger for generations. The abolishment of the Electoral College sets up a future where a few liberal enclaves like New York City and Chicago could keep favored candidates in the White House across multiple elections. These actions do not bode well for proponents of the Second Amendment, or for anyone who values their constitutional freedoms.