A gay Asian journalist was attacked by a violent mob last weekend, so you’d expect the liberal media to be in an uproar about the climate of hate created by President Trump. Well, you’d be wrong. In fact, the Democratic Party is holding an uncomfortable silence about the atrocity, while many liberals have taken to social media to blame the victim. What’s going on? Oh, wait, that violent mob was Antifa, the Left’s pet domestic terror group. Move along, folks; nothing to see here…
On Saturday, June 29th, freelance journalist Andy Ngo was filming a confrontation between right- and left-wing protesters in Portland, Oregon, when he was attacked by members of the violent Antifa group. Ngo was first bombarded with milkshakes — the new left-wing “protest” tactic — then savagely beaten, leaving him hospitalized with a brain hemorrhage. American leftists didn’t exactly rush to condemn this as a racist, homophobic assault, for some reason.
- There’s been total silence from most of the Democrat presidential candidates. Biden, Warren, Booker, Harris, Gillibrand, Sanders, O’Rourke, Buttigieg, de Blasio and most of the rest said nothing about the assault. Several of them, including Biden, have said supportive things about Antifa in the past.
- Andrew Yang, who’s an outside contender for the Dem nomination, said “Journalists should be safe to report on a protest without being targeted” — but he didn’t condemn Antifa. In fact, he didn’t even mention Antifa.
- Eric Swalwell, another presidential no-hoper, also condemned the attack, this time calling for Ngo’s assailants to be prosecuted — but he still didn’t name Antifa as the culprits. He did take the opportunity to plug his Journalist Protection Act though — a bill that would make it a federal crime to assault or batter a journalist. Of course, this wouldn’t achieve much, because assaulting or battering anyone is already against the law in every state. There’s no reason why journalists should have more (or less) protection than the rest of us.
- Meanwhile, left-wing activists were even less supportive. Charlotte Clymer, a spokeswoman for the Human Rights Campaign — a gay rights group — dismissed Ngo as a “provocateur” (he was legally filming a protest) and said the assault was “the greatest thing that could have happened to his career.”
- Nathan Bernard of Bernard Media accused Ngo of “relentlessly baiting and harassing” Antifa and called him a “far-right provocateur” who “finally got his wish.” Bernard also said Ngo had been “milkshaked,” ignoring the fact that he actually ended up in a hospital with life-threatening injuries.
- Christopher Mathias of the notoriously liberal Huffington Post tweeted “Milkshakes have this special power of revealing how fascists and their enablers are giant f*ing snowflakes,” an irony as Antifa and their defenders are the thinnest-skinned, most easily offended snowflakes in town — even when that town is Portland.
- Finally, leftist blogger Sarah Gailey tweeted, “If we can’t throw milkshakes I guess we’ll just have to go back to bricks.” This is the violence that’s being legitimized by the Left’s support of Antifa; how bad will it get if a Dem ends up in the White House next year and uses these terroristic thugs as culture war enforcers?
Copyright 2019, RightWing.org