A paramilitary training camp where wannabe jihadis can train with weapons, toughen up on an obstacle course and learn how to carry out murderous attacks against civilian targets? That sounds like the sort of thing you’d expect to find in a rebel-controlled area of Syria, the high deserts of Afghanistan or perhaps on Pakistan’s notoriously lawless Northwest Frontier. Well, how about finding one in rural Alabama? This is what “domestic terrorism” really looks like.
An FBI raid in Macon County, Alabama has uncovered a jihadist training compound where terrorists were taught skills that may have included how to carry out school shootings.
- Last week, a team of FBI agents raided a compound just a few miles from Tuskegee following reports of an “improvised military-style obstacle course.” What they discovered was a property that looked like an abandoned dump — but contained a terrorist base.
- Walls of old tires concealed a training facility where attacks could be rehearsed. Tire walls like this are a common feature of close quarter battle ranges — they allow barriers to be easily built and reconfigured, and as well as stopping handgun and shotgun rounds they also muffle the sounds of firing to an extent.
- The owners of the property include Siraj ibn Wahhaj, the son of a prominent Islamic preacher based in Brooklyn. Wahhaj is already under arrest following the discovery of another terrorist compound in New Mexico, where cops found several guns as well as the corpse of a 3-year-old boy.
- Wahhaj was using the New Mexico facility to train children to commit school shootings, with the aim of carrying out mass casualty attacks against American students. He, two of his brothers and two other men were arrested after reports that a child — possibly the dead 3-year-old, who is believed to have been Wahhaj’s abducted son — was being starved at the compound.
- The terror leader’s father, also named Siraj Wahhaj, was a co-conspirator — albeit unindicted — in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. He later acted as a character witness for bin Laden associate Omar Abdel-Rahman, the notorious “Blind Sheikh.”
- Domestic terrorism has become a left-wing talking point recently. Liberals imply that “domestic terrorists” are mostly white Americans, and use the term as a weapon against the counter-terrorism focus on Islamist groups. The reality is that most domestic terrorists in the USA are Islamists.