The need for improved border security was dramatically demonstrated in Nevada last weekend when an illegal immigrant was arrested on suspicion of murdering four people earlier this month. Although he’s not believed to be one of the Democrats’ beloved “dreamers”, 19-year-old Wilbur Martinez-Guzman is certainly in the right age bracket. The question now is what is our government going to to to prevent more killings like this.
Nevada residents were shocked last week when a gunman ran amok in Gardnerville, a small town south of Reno. Ten days after the killings, the suspect was finally cornered and arrested – thanks to information from ICE.
- The murder spree began on January 9 or 10, when 56-year-old Connie Koontz was murdered during a robbery at her home. At the time, it appeared to be a lone killing.
- Three days later, 74-year-old Sophia Renken was found in her home. Again, she had been robbed and murdered. It’s not known if police began to suspect a single assailant at this stage.
- On January 16, the bodies of 81-year-old former rodeo boss, Jerry David, and his 80-year-old wife Sharon were discovered, both dead from gunshot wounds in their burgled home.
- Thanks to information supplied by ICE, the Carson City Sheriff’s Department were able to identify Martinez-Guzman as a suspect in the killings. Because Nevada isn’t a “sanctuary” state, where politicians actively obstruct law enforcement to protect illegals, the police were able to act on this information – and the suspect was arrested in a hard stop at the Carson Mall on Sunday.
- At the moment, Martinez-Guzman is being held on charges of burglary, possession of stolen property and obtaining money by false pretences, as well as immigration-related charges brought by ICE. However, county prosecutors are preparing four murder charges against him and they’re likely to be brought against him this week.
- President Trump identified the problem in a tweet Monday evening. “Four people in Nevada viciously robbed and killed by an illegal immigrant who should not have been in our Country,” he said, “We need a powerful Wall!”
- ICE told the media that Martinez-Guzman had no previous criminal record. This flies in the face of left-wing arguments that illegals are determined and resourceful people who’re a benefit to our country. Yes, they’re determined and resourceful – and just by entering the US illegally they’ve shown that they’re happy to break our laws. The last thing we need is more determined and resourceful criminals.