(RightWing.org) – Illegal immigration is not a problem that showed up when Donald Trump came down the golden escalator in June 2015. Caravans from Central America, sanctuary cities, and crime among illegal immigrants have been issues for decades. However, until Trump, Republican presidents and members of Congress have virtually ignored the issue.
In general, Conservatives seem to have a sense of pride as an American and want to protect American jobs as well as prevent crime.
However, it seems like Liberals don’t share that same sense of national pride and identity. Yet, a decade ago, Liberals talked about illegal immigration much the way Conservatives today do.
What caused the divide to widen between Conservatives and Liberals over the last decade? What has influenced Liberal Democrats to move away from traditional American values that protect and reward American workers?
In 2006, a Democratic Senator wrote, “When I see Mexican flags waved at pro-immigration demonstrations, I sometimes feel a flush of patriotic resentment. When I’m forced to use a translator to communicate with the guy fixing my car, I feel a certain frustration.”
That Democratic Senator was future president, Barack Obama (D-IL).
In the early 2000s, Liberals understood and talked about how low-skilled immigrants depressed the wages of low-skilled American workers and strained America’s welfare state. Yet today, Liberal Democrats advocate for open borders, free healthcare and education for illegal immigrants, and sanctuary cities that protect them from federal agencies ready to deport them.
What’s the reality of illegal immigrants? Several studies shed insights into the transformation of the Democratic Party from protector of the American worker to advocate for illegal aliens; as well as the impact of illegal immigration on society that’s influencing and shaping opinions about illegal immigration:
- From 1990-2007, the population of illegal immigrants tripled in size from 3.5 to 12.2 million. Democrats began to see a potential voting block that could help them defeat Republicans and implement liberal policies.
- In 2017, 10.5 million people in the United States were illegal immigrants. Of the total immigration population, 23% of them were illegal.
- From 1980-2012, liberal mainstream news media almost exclusively used “illegal immigrants” or “illegal aliens” in covering illegal immigration. By 2014, the terms were changed to “undocumented” or “unauthorized” to influence the American mindset about illegal immigration.
- Liberal attitudes about illegal immigration are more likely created by moral convictions due to the philosophy of white guilt and/or white privilege.
- From 2006-2014, Liberals who said they were “very sympathetic” toward illegal immigration almost doubled from 22% to 42%.
- In 2019, 39% of likely voters said it would be better to open US borders to anyone who wants to come to the United States so long as they are not criminals or terrorists.
The shift from protecting American workers to embracing illegal immigrants has been a fast-sweeping change for the Democratic Party. Some of it is a reaction to Trump’s immigration policies. However, much of it’s an opportunistic political agenda to build a new Democratic coalition that can help them win elections for decades to come.
By Don Purdum, Freelance Contributor
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org