The new-style Left doesn’t have a good reputation when it comes to free speech. Any time they disagree with someone, their first instinct is to shut them down to avoid a debate. A lot of this comes from the student activist scene that’s become a hothouse for growing new Democrats — and as this generation starts to move into Congress, they’re bringing their attitudes with them. The latest to object to free speech is New York socialist Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC). She is happy enough to play to the media gallery when it’s all going her way, but now that some journalists have mentioned things she doesn’t want to talk about, she’s crying foul. But is the media really being unfair to this hypersensitive firebrand?
- On March 5th, Ocasio-Cortez sent a tweet complaining about media coverage of her private life. What annoyed her was an article in The Hill about how her mother hopes she’ll marry her boyfriend.
- It was a pretty innocuous article, but it seems AOC didn’t realize the media are free to write about any aspect of a politician’s life they choose.
- AOC tweeted, “You know, when I got to DC I was told that it’s considered “off-limits” to report on a member’s family, love life, etc. Unsure why that consideration is suspended for me. (Also for those who ask how I learned to handle pressure, try being the only daughter in a Latino household)”
- It’s true that, in general, journalists give politicians a certain amount of cover when it comes to their private lives. After all, they might have signed up to be in the public eye, but their families didn’t. However, there are exceptions.
- If what a politician is doing in private could impact how they do their job, that’s legitimate political reporting and the gloves come off.
- On top of that, the understanding between legislators and reporters has never been total. The Kennedys might have been the first celebrity politicians, but they’re far from the last. Remember the constant media coverage of the Clintons in the 1990s?
- If a politician makes themselves stand out they’re going to get extra media attention, and with her extreme politics and wild suggestions, AOC has certainly made herself stand out. It was inevitable that the press would start poking at her life because their readers want to know more about the congresswoman who’s doing all these crazy things. The Daily Caller recently published a list of 20 politicians or their families who’ve attracted media attention, and that was barely scraping the surface.
- Ocasio-Cortez is not being treated unfairly. She’s just getting the attention that her sort of behavior attracts.