It’s fair to say the political right has a problem with the mainstream media right now. Establishment journalists have been undergoing a collective mental meltdown since the 2016 election results came in. They’ve spent the last three years spewing anti-Trump fake news all over the newspapers and airwaves.
Of course, conservatives are sick of it. What’s different now is that some of the professionals in MSM seem to be getting sick of it too — New York Times editors found this out the hard way recently.
Many were surprised when the notoriously liberal New York Times ran a headline — by accident, we presume — that was actually fair to President Trump. It was quickly changed, which sparked a minor rebellion in the newsroom.
- Following the deadly mass shootings in Dayton and El Paso, President Trump delivered a hard-hitting speech that made it clear hate and bigotry are not part of the American ideal. Powerful and statesmanlike, this speech attracted fury from the Left — mostly because it gave them nothing to complain about.
- The NYT also received a load of leftist anger after reporting the speech under the headline “Trump Urges Unity Vs. Racism.” Liberals on Twitter erupted with rage, condemning the Times for reporting on an inconvenient truth. Joan Walsh, CNN contributor and The Nation editor, claimed she’d canceled her NYT subscription in protest.
- Senior staff at the newspaper panicked because (for once) it was them Twitter was yelling at. They promptly changed the headline. Later editions carried the banner “Assailing Hate But Not Guns” — this headline managed to loosely describe the speech while also criticizing the president.
- Democrat politicians also criticized the headline. Beto O’Rourke called it “unbelievable” (which is true, although not in the way he meant it), Cory Booker claimed “lives literally depend” on the Times writing “better” headlines, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez went on a crazed rant about white supremacy.
- In response to the controversy, NYT executive editor Dean Baquet called a newsroom town hall and told employees they could discuss anything that was on their minds.
- Several employees apparently called on the paper’s management to push an even more biased, anti-Trump line. They said that, instead of letting readers make up their own minds, the NYT needs to spoon-feed them claims that Trump is racist.
- This was a step too far for some at the paper, though. One staffer bluntly told the meeting, “We have to remember we are not advocates for the Left. We are not f**king part of the resistance.”
- Baquet himself insisted the Times shouldn’t openly support the Left; he added, “Inevitably the people outside power gain power again. And at that point, what are you? You’re just a chump of the people who won.”
Copyright 2019, RightWing.org