Are you hoping your daughter will shine at high school sports? Want to see her dominate track events, or be the star of the soccer pitch? Well, her chances just went in the tank thanks to an unholy alliance between the Dems and some renegade Republicans. Because now she’s not just competing with the other girls — she has to beat a boy in a dress, too.
Democrat dominance of the House of Representatives claimed another victim last week — girls’ sports. A new piece of “equality” legislation forces schools to let boys who claim to be female compete in girls’ events. On the surface it’s aimed at preventing discrimination; the reality is that it’s bad for girls and could have serious effects on women’s sports in general.
- The Equality Act, an amendment to the 1964 Civil Rights Act, adds “sexual orientation and gender identity” to the list of protected characteristics under federal anti-discrimination law.
- Sexual orientation isn’t a problem; a gay male teenager is just as good — or bad — at sports as a straight male teenager, so protecting them from discrimination isn’t going to have an effect. “Gender identity” is a different story, though.
- To protect people who “identify” as a gender they’re not, it’s now illegal for schools to insist that boys compete with other boys or play in all-male teams. If some hulking 16-year-old with a good start at a beard tells coach he’s a girl, he gets to play sports with the girls — and if coach tries to stop him, that’s a federal crime.
- Women are as good or better than men at many things — but sports, in general, aren’t one of them. Men are stronger and faster, and that gives them an advantage in most sports. The fastest man in the world, Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt, set a 100-meter world record of 9.58 seconds in 2009. His female counterpart, US runner Florence Griffith-Joyner, never beat 10.49 seconds — and that record has stood since 1988.
- If girls don’t get a fair shot at sports in high school, many of them won’t see the point in continuing. Boys who aren’t quite good enough to make the grade in male sports, however, now have a Plan B — claim they “identify” as a girl. It’s not going to do them any harm, and they can go back to being male whenever they like, so why not throw on a skirt and dominate the female track team for a couple of years?
- Predictably, every single House Democrat voted for this idiotic bill, and eight Republicans decided to join them. The Equality Bill was passed 236 votes to 173. In the name of “equality,” women now have to put up with male dominance in a field they’ve always had to themselves.