(RightWing.org) – Young people in a developing nation protesting against a tyrannical, ultra-conservative regime and in favor of democracy — you’d think that’s a group the Democratic Party would be falling over themselves to support.
Maybe not, as it turns out.
If those young people happen to be Iranian, and the regime they’re protesting against hates President Trump, it seems the Dems aren’t in any rush to back them. Is anyone surprised?
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) put forward a motion Tuesday, Jan 14, that would have supported protesters in Iran demonstrating against the country’s hardline religious regime. There’s been a growing current of protest in Middle East country since last year, but last week’s accidental destruction of a Ukrainian airliner has poured gas on the flames.
- McCarthy announced on Monday that he planned to bring a resolution in support of the protesters. President Trump has already stepped up on that, telling the protesters that America stands with them and warning the regime not to kill them.
- Iran has plenty of history of brutally crushing dissent. It’s believed up to 1,500 anti-regime protesters were murdered last year — many of them on the orders of Qasem Soleimani, the Revolutionary Guard terror chief killed in a US airstrike two weeks ago.
- The resolution McCarthy put forward would have condemned the killing of protesters as well as the destruction of Flight 752 and the 176 people on board. It went on to condemn the Iranian government for lying to its own people and the rest of the world, asked Iran to recognize the rights of free expression and peaceful assembly, and finally stated its support for the protesters and their demands for basic democratic rights.
- You wouldn’t think there was anything controversial or partisan in there, but it seems House Democrats didn’t agree. To avoid having to actually vote against the motion, they used a procedural move to block it instead.
- Condemning the cynical move, McCarthy said, “This is not the time for partisan politics. This should be a time for the US Congress to speak with one voice to condemn an Iranian regime that kills its own people.”
- Meanwhile, President Trump doubled down on his support for the protests, tweeting, “I’ve stood with you since the beginning of my Presidency, and my Administration will continue to stand with you. We are following your protests closely, and are inspired by your courage.”
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org