(RightWing.org) – With America in the grip of a worse crisis than anything we’ve ever seen in peacetime, what the country needs is a bipartisan effort to get us through this with our lives and economy intact. Unfortunately, what we’ve got is a Democratic Party that’s now so unhinged it’s attacking its own members for showing some simple courtesy to our elected president.
Last month, Michigan State Representative Karen Whitsett (D-Detroit) had the bad luck of falling ill with the Chinese coronavirus. Now she’s recovered, but she’s facing a new threat — this time from zealots in her own party.
- After she got sick, Whitsett was treated with hydroxychloroquine, an antimalarial drug many scientists say might also be effective against the coronavirus.
- President Trump has supported trials of hydroxychloroquine in coronavirus patients, believing it has great potential to save lives. The administration pressured the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) into slashing the usual red tape involved in approving a drug for a new use.
- Talking to Fox News’s The Ingraham Angle on April 6, Whitsett said she’d gone into home quarantine on March 12 after showing coronavirus symptoms. By the time she managed to see her doctor on March 18, she had pneumonia and was given antibiotics.
- However, her health kept going downhill fast. On March 31, she tested positive for COVID-19 and was hospitalized. There, she heard about hydroxychloroquine — but was told Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer had banned its use for Chinese virus victims.
- When Whitmer lifted the order and the drug became available, Whitsett received the treatment – and within hours she was well on the road to recovery.
- Whitsett told The Ingraham Angle that “If President Trump had not talked about this it wouldn’t have been something that would be accessible for anyone to be able to get right now,” and thanked the president for publicizing the drug.
- However, at least some Michigan Dems are outraged that Whitsett dared to thank the man who, she believes, helped save her life. For her simple act of courtesy, she’s now facing censure from the 13th Congressional Democratic group.
- The motion of censure, which the group will vote on Sunday, claims Whitsett is endangering the health of Michiganders by praising the president’s advice. If the motion passes, she’ll effectively be suspended from the party.
Disgraceful. Should join the Republican Party! https://t.co/HMpXOEdgSA
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 24, 2020
- President Trump rallied to Whitsett’s defense Thursday, tweeting that she “should join the Republican Party!” It’s ironic that, by attacking her gesture of bipartisan unity, the Democrats might force her to do exactly that.
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org