California’s loony left legislators have made it clear for a long time now that they think illegal immigrants are more important than American citizens. Why else would they keep supporting so-called “sanctuary cities” despite the ever-growing toll of innocent people murdered by illegals? The latest move is crazy even by California standards, though. The state legislature just announced that it’s going to give free health care to tens of thousands of illegals — and fund it by slapping hefty fines on citizens.
Lawmakers in Sacramento have just released the final draft of California’s 2020 budget, and it contains a couple of unwelcome surprises for the state’s law-abiding taxpayers. Governor Gavin Newsom has colluded with Democrats to make their state the first in the union to provide full health coverage for almost 100,000 people who shouldn’t even be in the country — and they’re going to make people who do have a right to be in California pay for it.
- One of the most unpopular elements of Obamacare was the individual mandate penalty — a federal fine slapped on anyone who didn’t have health insurance the government approved of. This was one of the first things eliminated by President Trump when he took office in 2017.
- However, California has decided to bring it back at state level. From next year, state residents who don’t have health insurance will be hit with an extra tax. State Dems say the idea behind this is to keep premiums down.
- On the other hand, a much easier way to keep premiums down would be to not enroll over 90,000 low-income illegal immigrants in Medi-Cal, the state’s Medicaid program. But that’s exactly what the Democrats have decided to do. That’s right — they’re taxing Americans and using the money to give even more handouts to foreign criminals.
- It’s estimated that giving Medi-Cal coverage to illegals will cost about $98 million a year. Unfortunately, Democrat estimates of what entitlement programs will cost tend to be on the low side by a factor of at least three, so expect this to bloat into hundreds of millions of dollars inside a couple of years.
- If California really wants to save money it should be deporting illegals, not finding new ways to give them money. And, this fresh entitlement blows a huge hole in claims that the state’s new individual mandate is about balanced budgets. It isn’t; it’s about taking money from the American people and handing it to criminals, which is Dem politics in a nutshell, really.