(RightWing.org) – A federal appeals court has rescued Hillary Clinton from having to testify in person about the private email system she used when she was secretary of state in the Obama administration. A conservative group wants to know what Hillary was doing during the 2012 Benghazi attacks that killed the US Ambassador and three other Americans. Now, a court stuffed with Liberal judges has decided she doesn’t need to testify in person.
Clinton Won’t Lift Veil of Secrecy
Anyone who’s worked in government or the military knows there’s always a paper trail that gives a record of what happened – or didn’t happen – during any major event. Obviously this trail gets a lot harder to follow when one of the major players sets up her own email system instead of using the government one.
- Judicial Watch, a conservative group that attempts to expose misconduct by government officials, launched a lawsuit in 2014 to find out what talking points about the attacks were given to Susan Rice, US ambassador to the United Nations at the time – and how Clinton was involved.
- As part of their lawsuit, Judicial Watch is trying to find out what information was passed through Clinton’s private email server. Throughout her time as secretary of state, Clinton used a private, unclassified server for all her official work, in violation of a wide range of federal security laws. She evaded prosecution thanks to pressure from former FBI director James Comey.
- Judicial Watch had pushed for Clinton to testify as to the reason she chose to use the private server instead of a properly-secured and fully-accountable government one. This March, District Judge Royce Lamberth ruled that both Clinton and her former aide, Cheryl Mills, must give depositions in person.
- The main point Judicial Watch wanted to resolve was whether or not Clinton used the private server in an attempt to evade Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests – the main tool the group uses to uncover government malfeasance.
- However, on Friday, August 14, the DC Circuit Court of Appeals reversed that decision, claiming that Judicial Watch’s FOIA lawsuit wasn’t important enough to force Clinton to give evidence.
- The court didn’t exempt Cheryl Mills from being deposed, but it did helpfully remind her she has other appeal options that weren’t open to Clinton. That was a pretty blatant attempt to stop Mills from testifying, too.
- It’s not hard to spot political motivations behind the decision. Judge Lamberth was appointed by President Reagan; two of the three who overturned his decision – Judges Robert Wilkins and Cornelia Pillard – are Obama appointees.
So it looks like, yet again, the Left has closed ranks to protect its own – and stop the American people from finding out the truth about what happened in Benghazi eight years ago.
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org