Renegade congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D, NY) gave the green light to anyone who wants to create mayhem when she told a New York radio station that many people in the US and worldwide have “no choice” except to riot. The inflammatory comments grew from a discussion of that favorite left-wing grievance, Palestine, but the fiery socialist then upped the stakes by applying them to this country too.
AOC gave an interview to New York hip-hop station Hot 97 recently and quickly got drawn into discussing violence and civil disorder instead of the political issues that are supposed to be her job.
- AOC started off talking about Palestinians, claiming that their living conditions leave them no choice except rioting. This claim at least has some basic logic behind it. Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip can vote for their own administration, but they don’t get to vote in Israeli elections — and the Israeli government controls many aspects of their lives.
- Of course, this misses the point that endless Palestinian riots just destroy infrastructure and cripple the local economy, without really putting any pressure on Israel, but it is a logically consistent argument.
- The freshman congresswoman has never been famous for staying logical, though, and she wasn’t making any exceptions during this interview.
- AOC went on to say, “I’m not even talking about Palestinians. I’m talking about communities in poverty in the United States; I’m talking about Latin America; I’m talking about all over the world.”
- The point she missed is that so-called “marginalized” communities in the US still get to vote. They have just as much power to change their government as anyone else does. And if they want things to change, that’s the way they should do it.
- While AOC talks about “social destabilization” leaving people with no peaceful options, what she really means is using violence to force change that wouldn’t happen in a democracy because most people don’t want them.
- Over the last few years — and especially since the election of President Trump — we’ve seen an increase in violent protests from the political left. Democracy hasn’t given them what they want, so they’re resorting to rioting in an attempt to get it anyway. This is a direct threat to US democracy, and the last thing we need is elected politicians encouraging violence by telling people it’s OK to riot because they don’t have any other choices. In the US they do, and AOC knows it.
Copyright 2019, RightWing.org