Yet again, volatile congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) has opened her big mouth and fallen right in. The fiery politician launched a furious Twitter attack on reforms to the food stamp program, claiming that the new rules could have starved her own family if they’d been introduced earlier. Sadly for her, it looks like she didn’t actually read the new rules, because it wasn’t long before better-informed people stepped in to publicly put her right.
The food stamp program is one of the most widely used entitlement programs in the US, with over 36 million people claiming the benefit. The administration is trying to make the system less confusing and harder to abuse, but of course, leftists like AOC don’t like the reforms.
- To get food stamps — officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP — you need to meet the eligibility requirements. One of these is that if you want to claim them for more than three months in a three-year period, and you’re an able-bodied childless adult aged from 18 to 49, you need to be training or working for at least 20 hours a week.
- This isn’t exactly a high bar to jump over, but nevertheless, some states issue waivers to the requirement. Now the administration is restricting states’ ability to issue waivers. From now on waivers can only be applied in a city or county where the unemployment rate is over 6%.
- It’s estimated this change will only affect about 680,000 food stamp recipients — all of them capable of working — but will save taxpayers $5.5 billion over five years.
- AOC doesn’t like it, though. She quickly sent out a tweet saying that her family relied on food stamps when her father died, and if the new law had been in place they might have starved.
My family relied on food stamps (EBT) when my dad died at 48.
I was a student. If this happened then, we might’ve just starved.
Now, many people will.
It’s shameful how the GOP works overtime to create freebies for the rich while dissolving lifelines of those who need it most. https://t.co/WOrYvhfPj4
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) December 5, 2019
- However, this is rubbish. The Heritage Foundation quickly tweeted back with a correction, pointing out that the change only affects people who don’t have dependent children. No kids will be affected by the new rules, and for AOC to suggest this is flat-out wrong.
- Illinois congressional candidate Republican Catalina Lauf went further, slamming AOC for calling tax breaks for ordinary Americans “freebies.”
Copyright 2019, RightWing.org